Thursday 19 June 2008

Silver Wings


I made a few clay faces yesterday for using on ATCs and have been trying to think of ways to make them more interesting. I've been off work sick today as I seem to have acquired a really nasty head cold, the worst syptom of which is a terrible headache, so I decided to make an ATC out of one of the faces to take my mind off it. I made the flowers on the head by pressing flower beads into the clay to leave an imprint, and embedded a dragonfly charm into the top of the head. The wings are also made from moulded clay. I made the textured background by sticking mesh on and painting over it with silver acrylic paint then heating it with a heat gun. I also painted the head and wings silver and then stuck them on, then painted over the whole lot with a black acrylic and PVA wash to give a tarnished effect. To finish it I added tiny gems in the centres of the flowers and silver brads at the opposite corners to the mesh.

5 comments:

Maureen said...

Fabulous Sian, it looks really good.

Susan Williamson said...

This is really special. I love how it's monochromatic yet highly textured at the same time. Great job!

John Dyhouse said...

Hi Sian, love this piece, the texture and metallic appearance seem to give this an antique look

Beata Ewa said...

Love your work! You make fantastic things, your blog is just incredible!

Kim Dellow said...

This is amazing. Hope you are feeling better