Thursday, 19 June 2008
I made a few clay faces yesterday for using on ATCs and have been trying to think of ways to make them more interesting. I've been off work sick today as I seem to have acquired a really nasty head cold, the worst syptom of which is a terrible headache, so I decided to make an ATC out of one of the faces to take my mind off it. I made the flowers on the head by pressing flower beads into the clay to leave an imprint, and embedded a dragonfly charm into the top of the head. The wings are also made from moulded clay. I made the textured background by sticking mesh on and painting over it with silver acrylic paint then heating it with a heat gun. I also painted the head and wings silver and then stuck them on, then painted over the whole lot with a black acrylic and PVA wash to give a tarnished effect. To finish it I added tiny gems in the centres of the flowers and silver brads at the opposite corners to the mesh.