Tuesday 28 October 2008

Experiments with Alcohol Inks

I made these ATCs for an alcohol ink themed swap. I wanted to use the inks in an unconventional kind of way (I'm an unconventional kind of person).

The one on the right was done using alcohol inks on a Teflon sheet, swirling the card around on top. I wasn't 100% happy with the result I got so I had a think about how I could change it and sprayed it with the cheap hairspray that I normally use for setting chalks etc. (I would NEVER put it anywhere near my hair!) As you can see, this has given it a nice grungy look, a bit like spraying a distress inked background with water. I coloured the button with Sharpie pens and sprayed that with the hairspray too to blend the colours together. I stamped the background writing with a Memories Electric Rainbow inkpad and then the main image in black Stazon. (Having seen how well the Memories ink stamps on alcohol inks I now need to get a black Memories pad).
The one on the left was done using alcohol inks and silver mixative with a Spin and Splash. I stuck it onto mountboard and then added three layers of UTEE and stamped the image into the UTEE. I added the beads on wire at the bottom to finish it off.

5 comments:

Jan said...

I love alcohol inks - you never know how they are going to turn out! The spin and splash effect is great

Crafty Critter said...

WOW these are fantastic Sian, i can see i still have loads to learn about alcohol inks lol.

Heather Robinson said...

Wonderful vibrancy achieved in these atcs. Great combination of elements too!

Mooneybeams said...

I love the streaky effect on the blue and purple ATC. Always good to know there's other ways of using them as well - I feel some experiments with hairspray coming on . . .

Flippinpest said...

Fantastic use of alcohol inks! I love them too, they are the best thing since sliced bread. I came accross your blog by accident and am really impressed with your work.

PS I lived in your home town until last year