Tuesday 14 October 2008

Mixed Media Monday - Purples/Blues


This is my entry for this week's Mixed Media Monday challenge. I haven't participated before but this week's theme is purples/blues, which I love working with so I couldn't resist. This is a 5" x 7" canvas which has been sitting on my desk for months waiting for me to do something with it, so I finally took the plunge. (It's my first one, so please go easy on me!) I painted the background in black acrylic, painted some interference watercolours over the top and then painted the castle and dragon in black acrylic once it was dry. The hill at the bottom is scrunched up tissue paper which I dry-brushed with gold acrylic and then added embossing powder in blue, purple and sparkly gold. The rocks along the bottom are pebbles I picked up on the beach on holiday which I've painted gold. The moon is moulded from Makin's Clay and painted gold. I also added a bit of gold paint to the sky around the moon and some gold highlights for the stars and windows in the castle. I framed it with eggshells which I painted gold and then added embossing powder in purple and blue. It's a lot more shimmery and shiny than it looks in the picture.

14 comments:

Sherry said...

It's fantastic - love the purples and gold - and how the moonlight is shining on the hill.

Willy said...

Fabulous canvas!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card.

Fannie said...

Oooo, beautiful, Sian! Love the clay pieces in the design. It sort of reminds me of a Halloween Van Gogh. Bravo!

Anonymous said...

GORGEOUS! I love all the clay pieces on it!

Rika said...

Fantastic piece!

RubyMay said...

brilliant piece !

Beth said...

Wow! this is beautiful, delicate, wonderful. Thanks for sharing your process.

Pretty Widow said...

What a cool piece of art - i love that you painted the whole thing. The mix of blues and purples with black and the shiny bits creates a very dynamic and interesting canvas. Great job!

Zuzu's Blog said...

I like this a lot!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous canvas, Sian! I'm so glad you came to play on Mixed Media Monday - I hope we see lots more of your gorgeous art! Diane

CreativSpirit said...

Gorgeous art, evokes a great feeling.

Rob

Lorraine said...

hello Sian, love all the textures on your blog particularly the aluminium houses and this one with the moon face. Thanks for your comments on my blog and I love your taste in music!

My name is Cindy said...

Brill!!