Monday, 26 October 2009
I started off by making the frame using ArtEmboss aluminium. I rolled in the edges using a cocktail stick to start me off and make sure they were reasonably straight, and pressed down with an embossing tool to create the indentations. I used acrylic paint to create the slightly aged effect. Then I found some FP scraps, heated them with my heat gun and pressed them into the frame, makign sure there were no gaps. If the FP started to cool too much I just gave it a blast with the heat gun whilst in the frame - this helped it to stick too. Then when I'd filled the frame I added a glaze over the top and left it to dry. I was originally going to solder a jump ring onto the top, but have discovered that soldering doesn't really work with aluminium (or maybe I just need more practice)! Anyway, I settled for punching a tiny hole through the top and adding wire. I added some FP beads and some small seed beads on the wire and twisted it around to make a loop at the top.
Sunday, 25 October 2009
To those of you I still owe journal pages to (Cindy, Sherry and Yvonne, I think), I am really sorry for the delay. They will be done as soon as I can find some inspiration.
Sunday, 18 October 2009
Oh, I actually made something other than an ATC this week too. Can't post pics of it yet though as it's not gone to the recipient.
Friday, 9 October 2009
The top one uses words from an article about insititutionalised prisoners in the Legal Executive Journal. (In my defence, I did read it before I cut it up!) Matt says it could be about me. I'm not sure quite what he's getting at, but if he wants to think I'm still 30, that's fine by me!
I used a page from an old children's encyclopaedia for the background which tells you how to renovate your stockings! Why a child would want to know about that I really don't know. I used Distress inks for the background and spritzed with Cosmic Shimmer spray (which doesn't show up in the picture. I stamped over it and highlighted with a white pen then hand stitched around the edges.
The third one is an inked and stamped background with a bit of acrylic paint added over the top and then a layer of book text. I added the image and words and then stitched around the edges. For this one, I have used words from a nasty excuse for a book which was free with a women's magazine I bought years ago.
I've had a bit of a crazy week with one thing and another, so am trying to cram in as much arty stuff while I still have the time. Both my boys are at school all day now and I am returning to work full time a week on Monday - aaargh! I have a feeling I will be very tired for the next few weeks until I get used to full time work again, and unfortunately I fear I may have even less time for arty pursuits. Sadly there are just not enough hours in the day.
I'm off to the HSNW Rubber Stamp Festival tomorrow and, sod's law, I have come down with a nasty cold today. Fingers crossed I will feel a bit better in the morning.