Tuesday 24 January 2017

Cardz 4 Guys: Shaped Cards

Good morning.  This week's challenge at Cardz 4 Guyz is to create a shaped card.  When I first saw this one I panicked and thought I might have to buy some new stash (because of course NOBODY wants to have to do that 😉).  I didn't have any shaped cards in my stash and I didn't have any dies big enough to cut one.  However, when I gave this some thought I decided that I ought to be able to create an octagon shaped card fairly easily out of a square card, so that is what I have done.  The down side of course is that I didn't get to go craft shopping.  I have to say that I really enjoyed working with a different shape, so I have drawn around my octagon so that I can make more of these cards.

After starting off with my newly created octagon card, I cut some navy blue card slightly smaller than the card and layered it onto the card, then cut my patterned papers slightly smaller than the navy card and attached them on top  I then cut a smaller octagon out of patterned paper and also layered that onto navy blue card.  The papers I've used on this card are from the Prince Charming Paper Pad by Recollections.  I think these are usually only available in the US from Michaels, but I was fortunate to find them in Home Sense (if you happen to go in on the right day, they sometimes have craft items that you can't usually get in the UK).

I stamped the cat (at least I think that's what he is) and the sentiment onto white card using grey ink.  The stamp set is from Susana Loves Stamps and the set is called "Those Days".  I coloured the cat with Polychromos pencils, cut him out and layered him onto the smaller octagon, which I then stuck onto the card.  I matted and layered the sentiment onto patterned paper and navy blue card. 

I find it difficult to find embellishments for male cards, so I try and keep them simple.  I added buttons and some wooden stars  to this card, in colours to coordinate with the paper and card.

Watch this space, as I will be creating more octagonal cards!

I hope that you will join us this week at Cardz 4 Guyz.

Sian.  xx

1 comment:

Babs said...

Lovely shaped card Sian you did well to cut out your shape from another card well done , it's beautiful,love your cute little image too.

Hugs Babs x