Friday 9 October 2009

Found Poetry



These are for a found poetry swap I've joined on the ATCs for All forum.  The idea of found poetry is that you take a page from a book/magazine/leaflet etc and take words from it to make poetry.

The top one uses words from an article about insititutionalised prisoners in the Legal Executive Journal.  (In my defence, I did read it before I cut it up!)  Matt says it could be about me.  I'm not sure quite what he's getting at, but if he wants to think I'm still 30, that's fine by me!

I used a page from an old children's encyclopaedia for the background which tells you how to renovate your stockings!  Why a child would want to know about that I really don't know.  I used Distress inks for the background and spritzed with Cosmic Shimmer spray (which doesn't show up in the picture.  I stamped over it and highlighted with a white pen then hand stitched around the edges. 



For the second one, I used alcohol inks on the background with a bit of gold mixative.  The background is a letter Sudoku puzzle.  Again I stamped and highlighted the background then added the image and words and stitched around the edges.  This one and the bottom one use words from Charles Dickens' David Copperfield.

The third one is an inked and stamped background with a bit of acrylic paint added over the top and then a layer of book text.  I added the image and words and then stitched around the edges.  For this one, I have used words from a nasty excuse for a book which was free with a women's magazine I bought years ago.


Umm... not sure how this pink one crept in!  This one has a collaged background which is inked and then acrylic painted.  I added the image and words and then stamped the swirl on some acetate, alcohol inked the other side and then stitched it over the top.  I've used black and white pens on all of these to highlight the images and words.

I've had a bit of a crazy week with one thing and another, so am trying to cram in as much arty stuff while I still have the time.  Both my boys are at school all day now and I am returning to work full time a week on Monday - aaargh!  I have a feeling I will be very tired for the next few weeks until I get used to full time work again, and unfortunately I fear I may have even less time for arty pursuits.  Sadly there are just not enough hours in the day.

I'm off to the HSNW Rubber Stamp Festival tomorrow and, sod's law, I have come down with a nasty cold today.  Fingers crossed I will feel a bit better in the morning.

2 comments:

sam21ski said...

WOW these are ace and what a fab idea - TFS xxxx

Mooneybeams said...

Best thing to do with one of those offensively bad books is cut it up and turn it into art!