Monday 13 October 2008

See Through ATCs and my First Attempt at Soldering

These are the last three ATCs for my see through swap. I've done five altogether and I wanted to have a different see-through element on each one, so I've used fabric, acetate, tissue paper, a microscope slide and fusible film. The top one is a microscope slide, which I've alcohol inked on one side and stamped on the other side. I cut the ATC from mountboard and cut a hole in it for the slide and slotted it in. I then soldered around the edges of the slide on both sides to keep it in place. This was my first attempt at soldering, and I would definitely say it's not as easy as it looks (although I did find it a LOT easier once I realised I was supposed to put copper tape around the edges of the slide first)! I painted the background silver, stamped the clock backgrond on tissue paper and stuck it on using Mod Podge and then added silver embossing powder around the edges.
For the second one, I stamped the image on tissue paper and inked it on the back then painted a layer of Mod Podge on both sides. (I didn't like this one because I had to wait for it to dry!) I cut the frame from mountboard and covered it with black tissue which I painted using interference paints. (The frame has a shimmery finish which doesn't show up in the photo.) I then attached the tissue to the frame.

For the last one. I created the background using a rainbow inkpad and stamped the brick pattern onto it. I stamped the house and then masked it off and added some Glitz Spritz spray around the edges. I cut out the window and added some fusible film behind it which I'd heated firstly by ironing to fuse it together and then with the heat gun to bring out the colours. I finally added the little gold star and some gold rub-on around the edges.

6 comments:

Trudy said...

fantastic...great...and wow

WendyK said...

These are all gorgeous Sian, wish I had time to do this swap.

Lorri said...

It looks fabulous, and yes, the soldering is not as easy as it looks. I haven't done any for a while but did make a load of pendants using the technique a while ago. I love the look of this piece and your colours are fabulous!

Mooneybeams said...

Loving these - one question though, what is mod podge?

Crafty Critter said...

WOW these are amazing Sian. I love them.

Sherry said...

They're all fabulous (especially the soldered one). I'm intrigued as to how you attached the tissue to the second one - that sounds very tricky!

Great idea using a different see through element for each one.