Tuesday 10 March 2009

Metal

These are some ATCs I made for a metal swap on ATCsforall. For the top one, I made the heart from Friendly Plastic and stamped into it. I then freehand embossed a piece of aluminium to fit around it and aged it using acrylic paint and sandpaper. The background is acrylic paint, which I heated to make it bubble, and I added shiny mesh, brads and knitted wire.

The second one has an acrylic paint background which I creased a bit to age it. I stamped over it in black Stazon and added some more black Stazon around the edges. I attached a piece of aluuminium mesh using brads. I made the doll's head and dress from aluminium which I again embossed freehand and aged using acrylic paint and sandpaper, made the arms and legs using wire and beads and the hair from bent wire which I attached using a flower brad.

The third one has a textured background which I created using lace and mesh attached with PVA glue then painted over with acrylic and added metallic rub on to bring out the texture. I cut the heart from copper and freehand embossed it, then heated it until it went bright orange. I painted it with black acrylic and then sanded it. I added a piece of aluminium mesh behind and German Scrap wings, and a tiny gem on the top left. Finally I added a German Scrap star border at the bottom.

Number 4 has a background made from mesh and heated copper acrylic paint. I then dry-brushed it with various metallic paints. I added the wire, and the brads which I aged using black Stazon ink and sandpaper. The hearts are freehand embossed aluminium which I coloured with black Stazon and then sanded.




My final ATC has a background which I created using extra heavy gel medium, painted over with black acrylic and then added metallic rub-ons in shades of red and gold. I stamped the image onto copper using Versamark and then heated it. (The Versamark protects the copper, so it changes colour around it but the image remains unchanged.) I then freehand embossed around the image. I layered the image over a piece of aluminium mesh and added some brads to finish it off.



8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Sian!

I really enjoy your work. It's stunning! I particularly love how you combined Friendly Plastic with Metal clay.

I would like to feature you on the Friendly Plastic Blog for this Friday's post if that is okay. I will credit you and link to your blog. Maybe you'll get some lookers and traffic from it.

If you are not already aware, we have several Friendly Plastic groups:

blog: www.friendlyplastic.blogspot.com

We promote all things Friendly Plastic from the product to the artist...

Friendly plastic on Facebook

Friendly Plastic on Yahoo groups.

Love to have you join us!! Thank you again for sharing your wonderful art!
Linda
Linda Peterson

di from di-did-it said...

I wish I was part of this swap. I would love to receive any one of these beautiful ATCs! Thanks for sharing your talent with us! If I can't have it in-person, at least I can admire it on your blog. :)

Sherry said...

A stunning set of ATCs Sian - I like your technique of heating the copper - what interesting results. Your freehand embossing is fabulous too.

Mooneybeams said...

Loving all of these - especially the top one with the dark coloured heart

Unknown said...

love friendly plastic..and these are all superb...like the mix withthe mesh...brill...sassyxx

My name is Cindy said...

Sian I hardly know what to say - these are awesome!!! You certainly have got your stride back. PLEEEEEEEESE can we swap soon - maybe a personal 1:1 challenge?

Gunn Marit said...

Wow these ATC are stunning Sian, I am joing the same swap and now I hoper I get one of yours!! Good to see you in the ATCforALl forum!!

Glenda T. said...

Woweeeee! Your cards are absolutely amazing!!! I'm so glad I found your blog. I have it bookmarked and will stalk, I mean, visit it regularly!! haha I just got my hands on some friendly plastic and can hardly wait to use it on some ATC's!!!!