Tuesday 22 July 2008

Alice in Wonderland

These are ATCs I've made for an Alice in Wonderland swap which is being hosted by Kathleen on the Docrafts forum. I've wanted these Alice stamps for ages, so the swap was the perfect excuse.

I started with the Tweedledum and Tweedledee one (yes, I know they're Looking Glass characters but I LOVE them, and anyway Kathleen says it's OK). The background is PVA and tissue paper coloured using Radiant Rain sprays. I stamped the image in black Stazon on a separate piece of card and coloured it using watercolours, cut it out and stuck it on then added some mesh, the word Adventures (stamped) and a shiny star brad.

For the White Rabbit I've again used PVA and tissue for the background and also heated it to give a bubbled texture in the middle. I've coloured it with Twinkling H2Os with metallic rubons over the top. I stamped the White Rabbit on a separate piece of card and coloured him with a Sharpie pen, cut him out and stuck him on then added the printed words and some accent beads at the corners.

For the Queen of hearts I started by stamping the hearts on a white background in red and also inking around the edges in red. I added three layers of clear UTEE and stamped the Queen into it, and finally added the words which I did on a Dymo labelmaker.

I love this bit of advice that the March Hare gave to Alice, so I HAD to use it! I did the background using distress inks and gold Cosmic Shimmer spray, stamped the images on a separate piece of card, coloured them with watercolour pencils and cut them out. I stuck them on and wrote the words straight onto the background. I covered it with three layers of clear UTEE with gold embossing powder around the edges. It doesn't show well on the photo but because I stamped the images onto card rather than paper they are slightly raised from the background and this gives a great effect with the UTEE.

Finally, I had to use the Cheshire Cat because he makes me laugh, and I love this conversation between him and Alice. I wanted to try and recreate a bit of the surreal feeling that the book has (for me at least), so I used a background in dreamy colours with a bit of shimmer which I created a while ago using Twinkling H2Os and clingfilm. I stamped the images and wrote straight onto the background for this one, then added a bit of colour to Alice's dress and around the edges using a Sharpie pen. To finish it off I used some gems for the cat's eyes and added some Stickles glitter glue around the edges to frame it.

I was slow getting started with these as I found myself lacking in inspiration even though I had new stamps (!), but once I got started I could have gone on and on with them. I also originally did a Mad Hatter ATC using lots of bright colours but I didn't like it so it ended up in the bin.

3 comments:

WendyK said...

These are all fabulous Sian, wish I was doing the swap now

Sherry said...

Ditto what Wendy has said!

nancy said...

Sian, these are so well done, and so much fun! I just love the images from this story!
Nancy