Saturday, 3 May 2008

Experimenting with Image Transfers and Crackle Medium


This is an experimental ATC I made on Thursday night. I started off with a music score background (you can just about see it if you really look), used distress inks over the top to age it a bit and then painted a single layer of gesso over that. I then pressed the image down onto the gesso, burnished it with the handle of my scissors and left it until the gesso was dry. I then wet my finger and gently rubbed the paper off the back of the image. There are a few bits where I rubbed a bit too hard (or didn't burnish it quite qwell enough) and the image has come off, but I think this adds to the overall distressed effect. The next step was to stamp the line of music across the bottom with Stazon and then add a bit more distress ink around the edges. Once the ink was dry I painted over the whole lot with crackle medium (I used DecoArt One Step Crackle) and left it to dry. (I hate having to do that). Finally, once the crackle medium was dry, I rubbed over it with a gold metallic rub-on to accentuate the cracks and added the paper flowers. I'm not sure whether it would have looked better if I'd distressed the flowers a bit, but I think I like the contrast.

3 comments:

Dawne said...

this is gorgeous sian x

PBird said...

Oh no you can do the image transfers with gesso too!!! What am i doing wrong :( Your looks fab though, i better go say sorry to my friend Cindy as I told her she was telling fibs about the gesso lol x

My name is CINDY...... said...

This looks great Sian - know what you mean about the bits where you rub too hard though, I'm so impatient. But it just helps with the distressed look.... Gesso is the only technique I find works Ok with this, much to Paula's annoyance!!